Welcome to the inside of my camera bag!
I get a lot of questions asking what equipment and accessories I have, so I’ve finally gotten round to writing up a blog post. If I had done this post 2 months back, I would have been posting my Canon gear but I have just recently switched to Nikon and am loving it. <3
So what am I currently hoarding in that beautiful mint bag? I’ll tell you….
1. Gracie Mint bag by Jo Totes – This is my absolute favourite camera bag to date, and I have had many! Firstly, just look at that colour! It has multiple pockets, more than I can even use at the moment, but they certainly come in handy. It’s attractive and spacious. In the main compartment I can fit a camera body with a lens attached, and two other lenses.
2. Nikon D810 + Nikon 85mm f/1.4G lens – What can I say about the D810? It’s an absolute beautiful camera and the reason I changed from my Canon 5D III to Nikon. If I listed the reasons as to why I purchased this camera this post would last forever and I won’t get round to making dinner! Lets just say it’s legendary and leave it there. The lens attached is the 85 f/1.4G. Oh man do I love this lens… but not for the reason you will be expecting… it’s so LIGHT! It is feather light compared to my old Canon 85mm f/1.2 L II (that thing was a tank and back breaking!), so as you can imagine I was thrilled when I realised I now have a lighter option, not to mention it is an amazing lens. Lovely bokeh and sharp on my camera. What more can I ask for?
3. AspenWillow Camera Scarf – I mainly chose this scarf because the colour matches my camera bag, did you guess that? It also has tigers and it’s a great addition to my gear. It’s comfortable to wear and the material is sturdy but soft. It’s the first camera scarf I have owned because I have always been worried it wouldn’t support my gear but I saw this one and decided to take the plunge.
4. Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4mm – Oh what can I say about this lens? Only that it is so sharp it could cut through an apple! I had to use the sigma dock as it came with some back/front focusing issues but after some fixing up with the dock it is pin sharp and just an all round beautiful lens. Absolutely adore it! It’s sharp, snappy to focus and I would be more than happy to have paid over a grand for this lens.
5. Expodisc – It beats the grey card. The expodisc gives me accurate results every time! I especially love this for shooting under household lighting because although I can use kelvin, sometimes with kelvin I need splashes of magenta to get it perfect, and the expo does this. It is costly but it’s highly recommended. The version that I have has a portrait filter which basically warms up the picture just a tad and gives skin tones a softer, warmer glow.
6. CF Memory cards (x4) – You can never have too many! I generally only use my 32gb, but (especially now the D810 raw files are so huge!) I might get through the 32 and have to move onto a 16gb, it really depends on the session! But I have never had a problem with these cards and they are the only brand I have used. They are fast and reliable and I would highly recommend them for anyone wondering.
7. Rocket Air Dust Blower – This comes in very handy when I need to get the dust out of my camera or lenses. I am a bit of a camera/lens clean freak so this comes in handy when I need to get into the gritty grooves!
8. Business Cards – For when I am out and about. On countless times have I had the most random people stop and stare when I am in a session, if they come up to me I give them a business card. I also give these out when when I post client discs off.
9. Aluminium Metal Memory Card Holder – These are for my CF cards to keep them safe and all in one place. For some reason when I get this thing out in a session to switch cards, the guys are ALWAYS fascinated by it… I am lost as to why?! Maybe because it is manly and metal looking?!
10. Nikon EN-EL15 Battery (x2) – I have found with this battery, it runs down a lot faster than the Canon battery so I purchased a second one from Wex Photographic. As there are a lot of fakes going around on the internet I figured as Wex is a reputable dealer they would be genuine, and I was right. The battery is genuine so no worries there.
11 & 12. Sophie Giraffe and Mr Frog – these are my life savers, especially for bubbas! The giraffe squeaks and looks pretty, and the frog sits nicely on my lens and makes funny jiggles which keeps them amused while I am taking their pictures. Win, win!
13 – Nivea Chapstick – ahhhhh… can’t go anywhere without this! Especially in the winter months when my lips get all dry.
I also carry around a water bottle, mints, food, and a small variety of headbands for the kids!
This is pretty much what I bring to every session and is what works well for me. For my instagram pictures I am using a beautiful Note 4. Jumped off the iPhone band wagon last year and I am as happy as punch! You can find my instagram here: http://instagram.com/theladytori/ — Hope you enjoyed this post. <3